Fear is Temporary, Regret is Forever

 


This is not my first trip to San Diego. I have been her a few times over the years.  Family vacation with my kids , a girl’s trip to celebrate turning forty,  and to visit my daughter who was living in Oceanside. But as much as travel is often about making memories with the people you’re closest to, there are times when I long for a much different experience. One that takes me out of my comfort zone and throws me into unfamiliar territory. The kind that truly displaces me. Because when I am in a total state of displacement, I am more in tune to wonder, discovery, awe, and discomfort. And if I can keep an open mind, I know there is the likelihood that I will discover things about myself, about others and about the world I would have not learned otherwise. I am determined for this trip to be just that and more.

I am now 59 years old and counting. I braved through parenthood. I got through grad school while working fulltime.  I put two kids through college.  I have survived cancer.  And I made it to retirement. And what life has taught  me along the way is that being scared is one thing but, letting it grab you by the ass and swing you around is never an option. I refuse to give anything that much power.

So here I am pushing fear aside to do the thing I've been wanting to do since I started riding bikes three years ago. To complete small portion of the Pacific Coast Bike Trail which begins in Tijuana Mexico and ends in Canada. The  plan is to complete the first 134 miles from the Mexican border to Oceanside Ca over the course of five days.

Day 1:

Border State Park to Coronado Island (33.2 miles)


I wanted to start at the Tijuana border crossing but opted for safety instead.

                                    The views were priceless, but the wind was kicking at times.


              Water break at Hotel Del Coronado

Waiting for the ferry to take me back to San Diego Harbor



                                      A view of San Diego from Coronado Island

Day 2:

Downtown San Diego, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, Liberty Station and Mission Beach (34.3 miles)



                                                          San Diego  Harbor




              San Diego Pier




   
The Kissing Statue on the waterfront

                                                              
                                                                                     


                                      Mission Beach Boardwalk


                                                               Ocean Beach





Liberty Public Market is a 25,000 squre foot bustling, artisan marketplace in the heart of San Diego's historic Liberty Station neighborhood. A converted Naval complex  located  in Point Loma,  Filled with the vibrancy of local vendors and the aromatic scents of gourmet foods, this place offers a cornucopia of flavors, crafts, and experiences. The market presents an urban scene where locals and visitors alike come together for an authentic taste of San Diego's diverse cultural landscape.



 A lil tidbit for all  you movie lovers:

Liberty Public Market was featured in the original Top Gun movie:

Scenes filmed at Liberty Station

Maverick walking out and getting on his motorcycle before Charlie chases him

Maverick following Charlie into a bathroom bar

Charlie trying to catch up with Maverick


Miscellaneous Pics



Celebratory meal after my first ride

   

          Its  a b#%tch to go up........                  but its  heartstopper to go down!



 Ferry Ride from Coronado Island after a long ride (cold and tired)


My thoughts and observations thus far

Weather is still awesome AF.

Liberty Station is where it’s at.

The locals love their Padres

You need a jacket by 3:00pm

That downtown traffic though…..👎






Comments

Popular Posts