Cashmere Hills and Big Sur Skies

 


March 29th through April 2nd 

Picked up my mom and Darlene from the Monterey airport and stopped  at the Rio Grill in Carmel for lunch.  Later that afternoon we drove through Big Sur to take in some sightseeing.



March 30th  2022 Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey, 17 Mile Dr at Pebble Beach, Alisomar Beach and Pacific Grove antique and flea markets.

Sea lions /and or seals sunbathing



Check out the sea loin on the bouy, 

Fisherman's wharf



Golf course at Pebble Beach



March 31st 2022 Salinas, Marina, Seaside, and Folktale Winery in Carmel Valley.  Bevery and Darlene made sure we hit up a HomeGoods and Ross For Less
 too. lol



 

April 1st 2022, We went to Pacific Grove Farmer’s Market, then headed downtown Pacific Crove for breakfast and shopped in Carmel by the Sea.  In the afternoon we stopped for coffee at Clint Eastwood’s Carmel Mission Ranch.   Took a short hike in Point Lobos Reserve. On our way home we found Betty White’s Carmel home that is now for sale.








Yoga in
Yoga in the park




The Lone Cypress for all you golf fans




Pebble Beach


      For all of you stargazers out there, this the front and the back of Betty White's Carmel home. It's for sale for 7.95 million


April 2nd Breakfast at From Scratch restaurant at the Barnyard in Carmel which was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  We drove through and looked at houses before dropping Darlene and mom off at the airport.




These coming two weeks I am on this awesome adventure alone. Although the first 18 days of my journey were spent with family and friends, I look forward to doing what I want to do.  Much of my checklist is not the popular touristy attractions and now I will be able to spend as much time as I desire at each stop. However, I do realize how fortunate I was  to share so many beautiful sights and make wonderful memories with the people that I am closest to, especially my mom. I am completely aware that many people no longer have their mothers or will never have the opportunity to have this magnificent experience with them.  I am truly blessed and thankful.



My morning ritual 

My evening ritual


Andrew Molera State Park





*The Henry Miller Memorial Library is an art gallery, bookstore, and performance venue in  of  the of Big Sur,  documenting the life of the late writer, artist, and Henry Miller. Emil White built the house for Miller in the mid-1960s. After Miller died in 1980, White dedicated the property as a memorial to Miller and as a gallery where local artists could show their work. The path leading to the bookstore (lined with a smattering of art) brings you past a stage that has hosted the likes of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Flaming Lips, Philip Glass, Sharon Van Etten, Yo La Tengo, the Pixies, and Patti Smith.






    
They stamp each book you purchase.  
      This place is so hip.






     Most who know me know that books are my  weakness.  I could not leave without   purchasing a few.

                                                        

*Big Sur Coast Art Gallery is an art gallery in a historic and architectural landmark built from old recycled redwood water tanks. The gallery displays and sells from local artist and notable artists and craftsmen from around the globe

The cafe overlooks the ocean








April 4th New Camaldoli Hermitage

*New Camaldoli Hermitage  is a rural Camaldolese Benedictine hermitage in the Santa Lucia Mountains in Big Sur.  The Hermitage was founded in 1958 by two monks from the motherhouse in Camaldoli in Tuscany, who had spent two years searching for a site that combined solitude and natural beauty. It is located at an altitude of approximately 1,300 feet, and is approached by a winding road that is nearly two miles long, which gives the visitor a clear view of the landscape and Pacific coastline.

A dozen monks live and work at the hermitage. Each monk lives in a small cottage, The life of a Camaldolese monk centers on the seeking union with God following the dictates of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in union with the Catholic Church, through the ancient but ever new monastic heritage of Saint Benedict as enriched by Saint Romuald. This life radiates outward in various rhythms, involving him in solitude and community, silence and fraternal encounter, prayer and work, study and recreation. He is dedicated to the love and praise of God in the bond of fraternal charity.


So peaceful.  Stillness and the sound of the birds chirping.



April 4, 2002

Mission Ranch Inn. I met my new friends Mary and Peete(who are visiting the area from Oxnard) for drinks and music. Then I hiked the Calli Lily Valley and Garrapata Trail.


Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch Restaurant

April 4th - 8th 2022

Hiked the Calli Lily Valley in Garrapata Park

The small valley will be filled with tons of blooming calla lilies! It’s a hike down through patches of wildflowers until you come face-to-face with a beautiful little valley filled with Calli Lilies and a creek that flows into the ocean.


    The Callia Lilies are everywhere!


    All along the valley to the ocean. 


And so are these things! Yuck.  When I turned the corner I thought I was about to step on a snake.  I let out a scream that I am sure others on the trail could hear miles away.


Must be a cousin!


                                                         Beach at Garrapata!




Excuse me but no makeup when hiking.

This little creeks flow into the pacific.



I was trying not to touch any of  the vegetation on the sides because I am deathly afraid of poison oak.











Old Coast Road

















  



















 Piedras Blancas Lighthouse










Pitkins Curve Rock Shed






    My lunch spot on my trip to Piedras Blancas Lighthouse

                                                                  My north view


This is Pacific Valley School in Big Sur which houses K-12.  It sits across the street from Sand Dollar Beach.  There are 25 kids in the entire school.

Big Sur River



 Little Sur River
Point Sur Lighthouse




Yurt overlooking the ocean

Gorda Springs



Jade Cove
Jade Cove- Big Sur


Wildflowers

                                                                  More wildflowers


Moss Landing Ca.















Salinas Ca

Book nerd alert:

*Salinas is the home of John Steinbeck, the  Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist and the author of Of Mice and MenThe Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. He is one of my favorite authors and visiting Salinas Valley today made me feel like a character in one  of his novels,  as many of his works were set in Salinas.  I am forever grateful to my English teachers, Karen Prejean and Lynette Cessac who instilled in me the love of reading and writing.

      Childhood home of John Steinbeck

        Salinas~ Strawberry Fields






   Salinas valley grows over 70% of the Iceberg, leaf and Romaine lettuce produced nationally, 


                                                   Salinas~ Artichoke(I think)





                               
                                                  Planting














Californians are obviously not cold natured.  The water temperature is in the 50's
                                           








Pacific Grove

Watching the female harbor seals with their newly born pups
  Seals and their pups sunbathing in Pacific Cove.

 A stop during my bike ride through the 17 Mile Dr in Pebble Beach.  Toward the end my face was red and I was sweating , I felt as though I needed to vomit.  I literally think I died twice. But I would do it again in a heart beat.

 Every late afternoon near sunset these birds come in to feed in the little cove next to the house




These black specks in the sand are birds.


Carmel By the Sea 

Beautiful day at the beach.  87 degrees, the hottest day of the year.


Henry Miller Memorial Library open mic night







 The path leading to the little library in the woods.






All of the books wrapped in clear bags are for sale.
                                 



Palo Colorado Canyon









Cell phone service along the Big Sur coastline is spotty to non-existent so I guess a pay phone is vital for emergencies


Bb

A beautiful end to a beautiful day.




Twenty- three days down and it feels like I just got here.  Aside from missing my family, I feel  content and at peace .  I haven't turned on the television once and  since cell service is REAL shotty ,  I don't try for internet much.  My phone doesn't ring but, my California playlist works just fine. I get up each morning, get dressed and set out to explore this beautiful coastline. After three weeks and much to my amazement, I am still discovering little secret spots off the beaten path. To all my beach, mountain, forest and sunshine lovers, this is definitely a must for your bucket list.✌💓😊


Comments

Popular Posts