Reflections in the Mirror

Some things happen in life that force us to reflect. It might not always be a conscious decision to do so, we just find ourselves looking back. We think what might we have done different? What significant incident changed the course of our path? What do we wish might of happened in exchange for what did? I sincerely believe that a lot of things play into our lifestory…for example I think God determines most of it. But I also believe that we as humans use other tools such as experience, values, moral compass and emotion to detail our god given journey. I don’t know how much I could of changed the course of my voyage, but when I reflect back, there are some things that if I knew then what I know now, I definitely would of done differently.

I would have chosen a different career path. Although I truly believe that I have done some good as a social worker with the families that I have come into contact with over the years, doing this work for this long has stripped me of every fiber of my innocence and my overall belief that everyone given the chance will do good. Looking back, that was too high of a price to pay.

I would not have taught my two children to be so independent. Now that they are grown and turned out exactly what I pushed them so hard to be, I now want them to need me some and depend on me every now and then. I taught that based on my own fears and experiences and I went too far.

I would not have wasted so much time on things that did not matter. Forty four years down and I know one thing for certain when all is said and done..in the end you ALWAYS go back to people who were there for you in the beginning. Unfortunately, time passes that we can never get back, people are taken from us that are never coming back and things are said or unsaid that we can never take back. I miss those people who are no longer with me and would give anything for one more minute together.

In hindsight there are also many things that I would not change either. But that I will save for a different day. Right now I’ll just float around in my melancholy. After all tomorrow is a new day!




Comments

Popular Posts