A Gypsy Itinerary

 

It is no secret that I love to travel.  Although I enjoy a vast array of jaunts to here and there, I am particularly drawn to nature. Flora and fauna restore my depleted attention circuit and replenish my creativity and problem-solving skills. But my utopia may not be your merriment.  Happiness is individual. But sadly, we often seek it where it cannot be found. Money, titles, jobs, and cars are only hollow triumphs in the pursuit of happiness. As for me, that lesson and the quest to find my joy have been years in the making.

 Lessons I learned or (confirmed on this journey)

Life is all about the journey and less about the destination.

I was and still am often in a hurry to get somewhere or to finish something. The first thing that I set out to do post retirement was to retrain myself to be present of everyone and everything around me.  It is taking much work, but slowly, I am beginning to be mindful of the things I see, smell, and taste and to savor them.  I feel as though I am more in tune to my surroundings and try to be cognizant of what is in front of me in the moment. But I think this road trip helped develop a habit of slowing down and relishing life in the understated moments as well its highlights.

 Stay a student of the things that bring you happiness and fulfillment.  We all have a tendency to lose connection with what we loved as a child. Something about the social pressures of adolescence and professional demands of adulthood squash our passion right out of us. What we are drawn to by its very nature, may be unique and unconventional and that is perfectly ok. Nothing says inner strength like going against the herd mentality.

 Death or the fear of it is the only thing that gives us perspective on the value of our lives. Because it’s only by imagining your non-existence that you can get a sense of what is most important about your existence. Cancer can do that better than anything. It is a master at teaching the difference between being alive and just living.

Your family and friends are the icing on the “cake of life”.  Preserve them with all your heart, but don’t sacrifice yourself for the sake of someone else, even if it is someone you love.  You have one shot at life.  Take your best shot. The most painful angst we can feel is the sting of regret.

I also reaffirmed that……

There is no experience like life experience.

Every day is another chance to get it right.

Nobody has it all figured out.

Everything involves sacrifice. Everything includes some sort of cost. The key is to figure out what price you are willing to pay.

Life moves in one direction by way of the past, the present and the future. You decide where to spend your time.

Count your blessings every day.

And at my age, time is much more valuable than money.

 


Places that I’ve visited on this road trip

Texas
El Paso
New Mexico
Las Cruses
Albuquerque
Arizona
Holbrook 
Winslow
Flagstaff
Lake Havasu
Williams
Nevada
Carson City
California
Solvang 
Santa Barbara
Cayucos
Morro Bay
Pismo Beach
Monterey
Merced
Salinas
Moss Landing
Seaside
Marina
Gilroy
Santa Cruz
San Jose
South Lake Tahoe
Fresno
Groveland
Sacramento
Sausalito
San Francisco
Paso Robles
Santa Maria
Napa
San Simeon 
Gorda Springs
Big Sur
Carmel By The Sea

National and State Parks and Points of Interest

Yosemite National Park
Grand Canyon National Park
Petrified Desert National Park
Pinnacles National Monument
Muir Woods National Monument
Mojave Desert National Preserve
Point Lobos State Park
Garrapata State Park
Andrew Molera State Park
Lake Havasu State Park
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Continental Divide
Navajo Nation
Laguna Pueblo Nation
Point Piedras Lighthouse
Point Sur Lighthouse
Point Pinos Lighthouse
17 Mile Dr.
Pebble Beach
Carmel Beach
Alisomar Beach
Pacific Grove Beach
Pfeiffer Beach
Willow Creek Beach
Sand Dollar Beach
Henry Miller Memorial Library
Gorda Springs
Alcatraz Island
Chinatown (San Francisco)
Jade Cove
Painted Desert
Palo Colorado Canyon
Notley's Landing
McWay Falls

Top Ten

10. Henry Miller Memorial Library (I love books, woods, creeks and quiet and this checked all of those boxes)

9. Sausalito House Boats (The houseboats are exceptionally unique and I LOVE the back story)

8. Grand Canyon (It would not have made my top ten under normal circumstances, but seeing it at sunset was mesmerizing.)

7. Muir Woods (Again, I love woods, creeks, quiet and man that sunlight peeking in on those Redwoods was phenomenal)

6. Hot Air Balloon Ride in Lake Tahoe (Got it off my bucket list and was pleasantly surprised of how much I liked it.  Of course, seeing Lake Tahoe from 10,000 feet above didn’t hurt.)

5.Big Sur Coast (I know this is not specific, but it covers a lot of things that would have  otherwise been in my Top five. McWay Falls, Pfeiffer Beach, Gorda Springs,  Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery, Point Sur Lighthouse, Palo Colorado Canyon!  To me, there is no place like Big Sur on EARTH,)

4. Salinas/Monterey (The setting of a John Steinbeck novel at every turn.  I felt like a character  in one of his books the entire time.)

3. Point Lobos (The trails along the rocky hills leading to breathtaking lookout points at the edge of Pacific Ocean, Bird Rock, Whaler’s Cove, the scuba divers, the seals and their baby pups, the artists with their easels.  I can go on and on and on)

2.Yosemite (It’s so picturesque that even when you see it in person, you still don’t believe it is real.

1. Bike riding the 17 Mile Dr. (At the age of 57, I put myself out there. I chose my own journey. It was excruciating. I really died twice. But I had faith in myself. I believed. If I can do it, so can YOU! Trust me on that.

 

Best Times/Favorite Moments (in no particular order)

Open mic Night Henry Miller Memorial Library

Bike riding the 17 Mile Dr.

Picnicking on the cliffs at Point Lobos

Happy Hours at Fernwood Tavern

Watching the sunset over the Grand Canyon

Cocktails at Mission Ranch

Meditating at New Camaldoli Hermitage

Hot Air balloon Ride in Lake Tahoe

Snowmobiling at Lake Tahoe

Watching waterfalls in Yosemite

 

So grateful for this awesome experience.  Now I'm eagerly planning my next adventure. Wanderlust is in my blood.  Stay golden my friends.✌💓😊















 






Comments

Popular Posts